Collection: Part 1

Reflection

2017.11.11

I went to a gallery called "Jealous Gallery" for exhibition. Artist, Joe Webb, he makes work by exploring the dark subjects of the society like political issues, war, and inequality. I really like his work because the prints what he has done shows the social conflict to let people think about the challenges of the 21st century. In his work, he use collage to present it, and I love the way that how he makes the contrast between sugary family having dinner in front of the battlefield. Furthermore,  I learn that how he gets inspiration quickly, and produce more idea. In his word "the immediacy of collage and its graphic nature can get ideas down quickly and explore lots of different concepts, collage is the most political of all mediums"(The Mine, Page 66). This gives me thoughts about to learn more artists' work, there's always something that I can collage and get inspired from. 

2017.11.10

SHOOTING DAY : PHOTO OF GARMENT

2017.11.09

FINISHING UP MY GARMENT FOR "PUBLIC ART" PROJECT.

2017.11.07

FINISHING UP MY SKETCH BOOK AND PUT DOCUMENTATION IN IT

Artist: Joe Webb

2017.11.06

I went to the Tate museum again to get some idea for my photo of garment.

- Simplicity

- unification

I really like the work "June 2 '69" made by Barry Flanagan. I love the way that he used painting material, canvas with tree branch to balance each other to give the simplicity look. Also, in his statement for his art work, it says," he experimented with non-conventional materials, playing with the boundaries between two and three dimensions"(June 2 '69 1989). It gives me ideas about how I want to create a mood for my fashion piece, or how I find the balance between the background and garment. In some way, I think it has to be having contrast but also smooth.

2017.11.02 “Public Art” “4”

For the final outcome, what I design is the back of my garment. I take element from the structure piece “Fibreglass” made by Paul Mount to construct it. I really consider about what shapes or details that I should merge into my fashion piece, and I find out it is interesting how curve and straight line form together to make an abstract shape. When I make the pattern of each shape, I need to think about how these shapes connect it for the function part. For the fabric, I choose black fabric with different texture because I want each part to be distinguished. Also, the fabric are in different shades of black such as plead and wool. On Thursday, We continue developing our garment and doing some drawing. Then, we do the small exhibition. I get some feedback that is I need to think more about the silhouette with my research on the body. I think I set myself in a boundary because what I have done is pretty flat on the back part. I think I need to consider the whole structure of my design instead of just focusing on one part narrowly.

2017.10.31 “Public Art” “3”

I was sick on that day, but I did more research and drawing on that day at home. First of all, I really one of the public arts called “Fibreglass” made by Paul Mount. The frieze that he made was obviously stunning because of the three dimensional geometric shapes, and that makes me to think about how I can merge these shapes into my fashion. I think these sculpture are less urbane, it shows simplicity of these nice geometries. Also, because the friezes were made by modular abstract geometric forms, it creates a huge shadow wall. I really like that because each friezes shows different shapes and shades that I can really play or do experiment on the human body. Afterwards, I looked at my brief design on Monday, I think I really want to focus on the back part of the garment. To myself, the back is extremely important to a garment, so I want to focus on more structure details on the back. Then, I do some research on the fashion piece to see how designers construct the back of the garments, and I have a thought about doing the back first instead of starting with the front. All the existing pieces that have amazing back structure or details convince me to do it because I think it will be more interesting, and maybe it will be also a challenge to me.

Group Installation: Structure

2017.10.30 “Public Art” “2”

It is a pretty tough day today, we have done so much work such as drawing, shape manipulating to develop our work. Mostly, what I really like today is that we use paper to cut out three shapes and construct it on the body. We are told to close the seam between each shapes as much as we can. Under that condition, it really helps me to think about how each shapes can connect to each other to form a new silhouette just like a sculpture. From the closed 3D shape that I have constructed today, I find out there are some transitions to work on a body. There are three different angles to look at the paper garment, and I can always think about how to put three shapes in different ways to construct. What I have done is coming out like a bizarre top, it looks totally different for each sides so that I can analyse the silhouette from each sides. However, what I didn’t like it was that there were still seams not closing up, and it was a little bit disturbing. The process that I had done really gave me a thought about how two dimensional shapes could become a three dimensional garment construction. Also, I think that sometimes to work with simple shapes is better than complicated one. In addition, one of the public arts in Kazakhstan named “The very many” by Marc Fornes really attracts me to look at it because those curves in the sculpture is stunning. Although the sculpture is pretty odd, and there are holes and column connecting to each other, I can see the fashion element from it because each angles seems like an individual part that I can deconstruct and reconstruct on the body.

Paper Manipulation in class

2017.10.29 "Public Art" "1"

In next week, we are starting a new fashion project that bases on public art. On the weekend, I visited some places that have public art, I found out it was really interesting because each sculpture has so much details to look it. Also, different angles of these sculpture gives different silhouette. For some of the sculptures, I even spent more time to observe it because the shadow and the shade of it is different. For example, the large sculpture “Fulcrum” that made by American artist Richard Serra shows a great silhouette to me. I observed it, and it was consisted by five large pieces steel. The sculpture was large that I needed to stand on step to analyze it, although the steels are all rectangle, when I looked it at one side, it showed different shapes like triangle and trapezoid. I think that will be a great aspect to do with fashion because it is great to look at a piece that can consist different shape. After I did some research on what I was into, I think on a garment, there will be more possibilities than just an normal way like two dimensional. Maybe it is more diverting to do it in a three dimensional way like a sculpture.

2017.10.12 "What's the point" [3]

Continue working on project "What's the point" and finish my final outcome

2017.10.10 "What's the point" [2]

I was looking for deeper meaning for what I wanted to make with those print, and what I should do for it. First of all, I really like the contrast between tennis and the dresses. I found the elements like tennis net, ball or racket, there are some line elements like check or stripe that can go with the dresses. Also, there were different shades of those white dresses and the texture of the "tennis" element, they were all structural in two dimensional way that I could manipulate with it. Secondly, I did some research on "Kish" studio. The painting that they created express all the body movement in a really unique way, and it was really powerful. Thirdly, I found out the historical story about France striving for women participate in the Olympic games, and they finally won the tennis game to get the honor for women. It makes me think of the feminine aspect, and that is the deeper part I want to consider about it.

2017.10.09 "What's the point"

Today, it was the first day of the project "What's the point?, I looked back all three projects to decide which one I can improve and develop. In the "Dress" project, I found a traditional dress for me is the old fashion style tennis dress. In the 1900s, ladies who played tennis wore long floored dress that has puff sleeve with it. I found that there was connection between the body movement and the dress, it was really interesting to look those dresses swaying lightly but with intense movement when they played tennis. It helped me to find out that there are some elements that I can take to make feasible print. This was important to me because it gives me inspiration to collage. 

Final garment group Installation

2017.09.28 "Jacket" Project - 3

It was a busy day, in the morning, we continued working on our samples and garment. In the afternoon, we present it. After the small exhibition, I start to think about the deeper meaning to what I have done. According to what I had research for the pass few days, I get inspiration from different artists to form my pieces. One of the artist, Andrea Buttner, her artwork “Beggars and Iphones” really inspires me for what I want to do on my reconstruction jacket. The way that she uses body language to express the gestures and attitudes, it is pretty abstract but close to normal life. Nomophobia has been a serious problem these days, people become more and more indifferent. It is interesting to look at people how they always stay on their phones with those stony-faced. Photo by Stefan Steenkam, he focus on a beggar who has disappointed eye contact, it is interesting that a man who wears suit passing by. The conflict between them gives me a really sad mood and inspiration on how I want to do with my garment piece. Conflicts in current society is what I want to focus on, for example, how these tensional or bustling people present to each other.

Group Installation on human body

2017.09.26 "Jacket" Project - 2

Today, we did more drawing with deconstructed garment on human body. It is really good to see how two deconstructed garments construct together, and it shows interesting silhouette. Also, we did some samples based on the material of the jacket, and that relates to how we can use the samples to make connection between deconstruction and reconstruction. Also, the drawing really helps me to know how I can use different media well to balance a page or a body design.

The Jacket

2017.09.25 "Jacket" Project - 1

Starting a day with chaotic, I bought a bomber jacket instead of suit jacket, but that's actually fine with my project. I would like to say the jacket that I bought is "Utility", "Well-constructed", "Comfortable", and "Warm". Well, it is warm because it is unisex, too. I think this is a men army jacket at first, but it is actually design for all gender which immediately makes me to think about gender equality. To give this jacket a good observation, we start doing some technical drawing including the details on it. It's hard to catch every single small details in the jacket, but there are lots of textures on it which is interesting to look at it and draw it. Then, we turn the jacket inside out, to look really close to the lining. I like the lining because it gets curve stitch and the texture looks heavy but actually it's smooth. I use charcoal and rubber to draw the lining, and use fine pen to draw the curve stitch to balance it. After that, we use different medias to draw four textures on the paper, and to cut the shapes with that to collage a new jacket. To balance the page is really important, I take elements from these jacket to fill out the rest of the page, and I learn how to use different media to create a feeling on that page, either happy or sad. 

Group project brief final outcome

2017.09.12: Idea Factory

Ideas on our group project

• -Polytheism (Buddhism, Christians, Islamism, Voodooism)
  • -Mesh (the material that connect each religion's totem to be a totem pole)
  • -Obscure (a state of mind)

Start the day going to the British museum with my group members, I am still a little bit confused about what we are going to do. However, we collect ideas as much as we can, and try to come up with an outcomes that we can discuss about it. Since we are doing Polytheism, which is the belief in more than one god, we start to think about different religions and the things that would represent it. Totems, in those religions, to present its worship and ritual, also represent powerful meanings to people. For example, in Christianism, the window in the church is a strong totem to Christian, because when they pray, the light is coming through the window, that means hope to them. Immediately, we connect mesh to it because mesh is like window. Although we can't see the God, we always have belief inside. Also, that is obscure.

Group work discussion

Photo shoot: Background set up

2017.10.26 "Tactile Structure - 4"

On Wednesday, I was thinking on how to do my ten samples based on my research and drawings. According to my independent research, I still like to use repetition as a media to produce the samples. Also, most of the structure color are light brown, gray and yellowish. I am thinking to use a strong color like red to balance my samples. I went to some fabric store to get materials like ribbon, net, and yarn because I want to make the details of the building like checks and stripes. It was pretty time consuming to finish one. I need to hand stitch a lot but I enjoy the process when I am making it because I need to think about how different materials or fabrics work together. I really like that how these sculptures can transfer to a sample and give a complete new look. After we finish the samples, we brought samples back to the Barbican centre. We take picture of each samples with the brutalist architecture to see the contrast in between. I think what I did for this week was pretty succeed but I definitely need to think more bizarre materials that I can use, not just fabrics or knitting materials. Moreover, the techniques that I used are pretty limit, I should have done more experiment on how bizarre materials would work with fabrics or knitting.

2017.10.24 "Tactile Structure - 3"

Based on what we did for our nine variations, we did more experimenting samples. We did a lot of cutting, sewing and collages. When I analyse these samples that I made, I like the simplicity of each shapes, and the unconditional stitches makes me to think about how I can balance these shapes. What I don’t like is the color impact that I make because it didn’t show the intensity between each other, and I need to think about the contrast between samples and color.

Group Work Drawing

2017.10.23 "Tactile Structure - 2"

We went to the Barbican centre for doing some drawing in the morning. When I looked at the view, there are so many buildings that shows different textures. Some of them are simple, and some of them are complicated. I wanted to focus on the texture on each buildings. For instance, one of the buildings shows the white checks texture, what interested me more is because around the white checks wall, there are more structures surrounding, and it gives different shades that I want to draw it. Moreover, textures like black stripes on the building, and those windows having different window curtain shapes give me some inspirations. After that, we were asked to use materials to drape out the interesting buildings that we saw. In my group, we used the materials to hang it under the stairs, and it looks good because the position for each materials that we hanged give different angles to observe, and I can see some texture inspiration from our piece. In the afternoon, we get back to Archway to continue doing more collages. Based on our research, we briefly made three identifies. I really like the technique that how we cut out shapes from cardboard and use the pressing machine to press the shapes on the paper. It really helps me to develop more variations because it can create lots of texture with different positions.

Group Installation: Construct building by using different materials

2017.10.22 "Tactile Structure - 1"

We are starting a new project that is combining color and structure to make new tactile samples. In London, there are lots of buildings that have great details to look at it. Even though there are not much color using on this building, the repetition details on these buildings give great texture to collage. To be honest, I am not that into the process to look the details because it’s a little bit disturbing because the repetition details like windows and columns are too much. However, when I start to draw it, It is pretty fun, because when I finish drawing it, I can look at these details of each part, and think about how to collaborate them together. I went to several places such as Center Point and Southbank Center, and I explore that there are too much buildings, it is pretty stunning. After that, I start to think about the materials that can express these tactile structure based on my research. Even though the texture gives me a feeling that is pretty overwhelming, I want to make it light but substantial.

2017.10.07 - "Dress" Project 5

Feminism seems to be a popular topic these days, even though there are lots of people who have done a lot of artwork to stand for woman, it is still not enough. After I watched “The Handmaid’s Tale” produced by MGM, I feel extremely depressed because how women are treated in the future for the story. I really like drama because the background is set up at the “Future”, and it really implies that what we have done for female in current society is not enough. It still happens things are unfair on female, maybe it is not that exaggerated as the drama shows, but to prevent it happens is important. From this aspect, what I do more for my research, I find connection between tennis and feminism. There are always people who are trying to break the boundary to fight for a group. One of the tennis female players, Suzanne Lenglen, who was the first female tennis player to break the rules. She dressed differently, she gave up wearing complicated long dresses, instead, she wore knee-length skirt and short sleeve shirt. Even tough she was called “French slut” for those people who were anti her, she not only became a sign for female tennis player but also stood for herself to all the ladies as a model at that period. Therefore, I want to extend more on the fashion part to stay with the topic, feminism. Also, I will combine the print that I had made to do more design with it.

2017.10.05 - "Dress" Project 4

I finish my final print, and I want to develop more on this project. After we finish our exhibition, I start to think what I gonna do with these prints that I had produced. I want to make a collection based on that because the tennis part that I have researched, I am really interested in. Moreover, for next week, there will be another project called “ What’s the point”. I want to continue working on this project and improve it.

2017.10.03 - "Dress" Project 3

After I finish all my fifteen colored sample and big tactile sample, I start to collage with those elements from my previous research. One of the artists that I have researched on is Donald Judd, it inspires me a lot because I really like the art work that he had made because of the simplicity. I love the way that he separated the colored square by using different width of lines. Also, the artwork that he had made gives really good composition to look at it, and it looks like a pattern as well. His artwork helps me to think about how I can merge my sample with the research to create tactile or 2D print. In addition, I am thinking to make my print by using repetition would be better.

Color Sample: the "Red" wall

2017.10.02 - "Dress" Project 2

Today, we start with discussing our object from our research. I bring a measuring tape as my object. Since a fit tennis dresses for people who used to play tennis, I think there are some connections between the outfit and the object. We observe the details on our object and we have done some sample by using the elements from the object and the research. Then we do our colored sample with only red, yellow, and blue. When I do the colored samples, I am thinking the “Kish” studio from my search. Their artwork gives me inspiration because the way that they paint expresses a lot about the body movement. When I collage the samples, I combine the ideas from my object, I cut it like tassels, and make several layers with it. The colored sample helps me a lot to think out of the frame because I can turn three dimensional structure into 2D print, and that is more interesting. Moreover, I start to think about how I can use the print that I have done on a fashion piece.

2017.10.01 - "Dress" Project 1

This week we are going to do a project about tactile and 2D print. Starting with a question about what a traditional dress is, for me, I really think the old fashion tennis suit gives me a lot of thoughts about it. Actually, at first, I went to the V&A museum for the Balenciaga show. However, I found that there were some small exhibition about these elegant old fashion tennis suit to show how the ladies used to dress, and that attracts me. When I analyse the outfit that they dress, it is interesting to look at it because the big difference compare to how the tennis player dress in current. Instead, these ladies wear long floored dress with big puff sleeves. All those stripe on the dresses interest me, and when these ladies start to play tennis, the body movement makes the dresses flow. That gives me a lot of inspiration to think about how I can manipulate on tactile or 2D print like those color stripes on different white dresses texture. Also, elements about tennis, for example, like the racket or the court, I can really think about how these big or small geometric shapes can collage and make it into print.

Group Installation: Our Data 2

2017.09.21 "Your Data"

• One Day Project

Everyone has some objects that could represent themselves, and it could be really cherished. Our one day projects, "Your Data", we each describe why the objects are meaningful to us, and we are divided into groups to make a big structure with using the objects. Then, we give quick drawing on what we install. I am obsessed with how we use different media to draw it, and give a different feelings on the structure. Moreover, we use material like tape, yarn, plastic, etc to create different textures. From those lines and shapes, I can see how I do collage on the body from it. It gives a feeling of bizarreness but also smoothy. When we finish drawing, we make a view to find textures from it, and we need to redraw it to create a pattern. That really helps me to understand about how random drawing to create textures, not just a simple line. After that, we make pattern by using different materials on the transparent plastic sheet, and project the texture on the mannequin. It really directly shows how you can manipulate the texture to make into print, or for example, what part you want it on the dresses.  

Paper Garment

2017.09.19: 2 Reflection Questions

• How does observational drawing/mash making inform the design process?
  • Timed exercises are important to the creative/design process, why?     

From these two days projects, observational drawing and mash making becomes really important to the design process. When we started to do this, we were requested to use as much medias as we could, and also to use different hands to do drawing. It will make you to think about how to work with different medias, and how to balance the pages. For example, we are drawing the body and the shapes on it, we might use different medias like a fine pen or a charcoal to draw different parts, and think how they might work. In addition, the way that we do observational drawing is to give a briefly outline, maybe just the silhouette of the whole collection. In the design process, mash making can also create textures to inform it. Time exercises are also important to the design process. First of all, it limits the time to force you to work faster, and give more reflections on what you see. Secondly, there will be lots of parts going at the same time in the creative process, it is important to know what you want to focus on, or what you want to achieve. After that, there will be more time to go to the next design process, and also to give a clear direction on what you want to do next.

2017.09.18 "Your Surroundings"

• One Day Project

Starting the day with some drawing on surroundings, I feel excited about it. I wonder how we can draw the figures and manipulate with it. I first found a ceiling from the building that has lamb in it, and the three dimensional shape really attracts me. I really like It because it gets layers and details that can overlap with other surroundings to make more bizarre shapes. After the drawing, we begin to find out ten shapes that is unique to place it together, and make a geometrical picture that shows different shapes are connecting. From the geometrical picture, I can see a lot of fashion elements in it, maybe one part can be sleeve or collar, and there will be more patterns to create from those shapes. In the afternoon, three shapes from our original drawings are chosen, and we pair up to use our six big shapes to create a interesting silhouette. I am really into it because it really forces you to think about how these shapes relate to each other to give a new form for the body. Within 20 minutes, we finish our "paper" work on the body, and we do some figure drawings to finish up the day. From those figure drawings that I did, I went back home, and looked at them, it gave me a feeling that there are tones of shapes that I still needed to explore and play with it.

Photo of outside CSM

2017.09.11: 3 Reflection Questions

• First day of the school

I feel a little bit panic in the morning today because I just meet my classmates and teachers, but soon I feel less stressed after I make some new friends. In the afternoon, We were grouped by teachers, I feel better and excited because of the group project. 

-Describe the research process & its importance for generating original ideas

-How could your written reflection feed back into & strengthen your research process?

-How could working in a team enable the generation of original concepts?

Research process is definitely an essential process to me that to have my own private source to start a project. When the topic is given, it needs to be analyzed, and to brainstorm different ideas as much as possible but sticks to the topic. After that, do the research on each of these ideas in more detail to get deeper thoughts. To generate these ideas, doing research is like to build a construction. It gives you a clear thinking to explain the ideas, once those ideas are formed, it created connections between each other. It is important that to keep a clear mind to do the research for generating original ideas. During the research process, to keep up with writing reflection will give you different aspect to present different thoughts. There will be always new thoughts on one idea, no matter that is negative or positive. Therefore, to record reflection is important to help you get one's ideas into shape. Then, the ideas of research can go deeper to be discussed. Once the ideas are matured, reflection feed back will strengthen your research process. A team work is good to create original ideas because it's not about one's thoughts, in a group, there will be more conflicts to create and problem to solve, and finally merges the thoughts together to come up with new concepts. Sometimes, it is better to take other people's feedback than just isolates to itself. That's because people's thoughts are always effected by the things that they like or inspired by in the daily life, and that's not original. Consequently, It's important to work with other people that could always give feedback or criticism, that will force you to thinking outside the box.