Collection: Part 1

Reflection

2017.09.25 "Jacket" Project

Starting a day with chaotic, I bought a bomber jacket instead of suit jacket, but that's actually fine with my project. I would like to say the jacket that I bought is "Utility", "Well-constructed", "Comfortable", and "Warm". Well, it is warm because it is unisex, too. I think this is a men army jacket at first, but it is actually design for all gender which immediately makes me to think about gender equality. To give this jacket a good observation, we start doing some technical drawing including the details on it. It's hard to catch every single small details in the jacket, but there are lots of textures on it which is interesting to look at it and draw it. Then, we turn the jacket inside out, to look really close to the lining. I like the lining because it gets curve stitch and the texture looks heavy but actually it's smooth. I use charcoal and rubber to draw the lining, and use fine pen to draw the curve stitch to balance it. After that, we use different medias to draw four textures on the paper, and to cut the shapes with that to collage a new jacket. To balance the page is really important, I take elements from these jacket to fill out the rest of the page, and I learn how to use different media to create a feeling on that page, either happy or sad. 

Texture "2" on Mannequin

"Your Data": Texture View - 1

2017.09.19: 2 reflection questions

• How does observational drawing/mash making inform the design process?
  • Timed exercises are important to the creative/design process, why?     

From these two days projects, observational drawing and mash making becomes really important to the design process. When we started to do this, we were requested to use as much medias as we could, and also to use different hands to do drawing. It will make you to think about how to work with different medias, and how to balance the pages. For example, we are drawing the body and the shapes on it, we might use different medias like a fine pen or a charcoal to draw different parts, and think how they might work. In addition, the way that we do observational drawing is to give a briefly outline, maybe just the silhouette of the whole collection. In the design process, mash making can also create textures to inform it. Time exercises are also important to the design process. First of all, it limits the time to force you to work faster, and give more reflections on what you see. Secondly, there will be lots of parts going at the same time in the creative process, it is important to know what you want to focus on, or what you want to achieve. After that, there will be more time to go to the next design process, and also to give a clear direction on what you want to do next.

"Your Data"

Everyone has some objects that could represent themselves, and it could be really cherished. Our one day projects, "Your Data", we each describe why the objects are meaningful to us, and we are divided into groups to make a big structure with using the objects. Then, we give quick drawing on what we install. I am obsessed with how we use different media to draw it, and give a different feelings on the structure. Moreover, we use material like tape, yarn, plastic, etc to create different textures. From those lines and shapes, I can see how I do collage on the body from it. It gives a feeling of bizarreness but also smoothy. When we finish drawing, we make a view to find textures from it, and we need to redraw it to create a pattern. That really helps me to understand about how random drawing to create textures, not just a simple line. After that, we make pattern by using different materials on the transparent plastic sheet, and project the texture on the mannequin. It really directly shows how you can manipulate the texture to make into print, or for example, what part you want it on the dresses.  

"Your Surroundings" - 4

"Your Surroundings" - 1

2017.09.13

• -Polytheism
  • -Mesh
  • -Obscure

We change the outcome today because we found out that we are a little bit lost about the depth of polytheism. In the afternoon, we give up the ideas about totem pole, and we think about the unity of all religion for polytheism, and it will be tree made out of mesh to present it. The tree has roots, and each has the original worships attach to it. For example, like Islamism, things like Persian rugs to represent its religion origin. We try to tell people ideas about cultural misappropriation, just like the tree. Roots are under the ground, people can see the tree, but they don't know the origin of the story like those roots. The obscurity aspect would be using mesh to build the tree, and we are trying to use mesh to represent its deformation.

"-"

Texture "1" on Mannequin

Texture View

We choose several details from our observation drawings to find texture that is interesting. From the texture view that I choose, I really need to look at it, and think about what I can get from the collages and those lines.

"Your Data": Texture View - 2

"Your Surroundings" - 3

2017.09.11: 3 reflection questions

- First day of the school

I feel a little bit panic in the morning today because I just meet my classmates and teachers, but soon I feel less stressed after I make some new friends. In the afternoon, We were grouped by teachers, I feel better and excited because of the group project. 

-Describe the research process & its importance for generating original ideas

-How could your written reflection feed back into & strengthen your research process?

-How could working in a team enable the generation of original concepts?

Research process is definitely an essential process to me that to have my own private source to start a project. When the topic is given, it needs to be analyzed, and to brainstorm different ideas as much as possible but sticks to the topic. After that, do the research on each of these ideas in more detail to get deeper thoughts. To generate these ideas, doing research is like to build a construction. It gives you a clear thinking to explain the ideas, once those ideas are formed, it created connections between each other. It is important that to keep a clear mind to do the research for generating original ideas. During the research process, to keep up with writing reflection will give you different aspect to present different thoughts. There will be always new thoughts on one idea, no matter that is negative or positive. Therefore, to record reflection is important to help you get one's ideas into shape. Then, the ideas of research can go deeper to be discussed. Once the ideas are matured, reflection feed back will strengthen your research process. A team work is good to create original ideas because it's not about one's thoughts, in a group, there will be more conflicts to create and problem to solve, and finally merges the thoughts together to come up with new concepts. Sometimes, it is better to take other people's feedback than just isolates to itself. That's because people's thoughts are always effected by the things that they like or inspired by in the daily life, and that's not original. Consequently, It's important to work with other people that could always give feedback or criticism, that will force you to thinking outside the box. 

2017.09.18

• One-day Project : "Your" Surroundings

Starting the day with some drawing on surroundings, I feel excited about it. I wonder how we can draw the figures and manipulate with it. I first found a ceiling from the building that has lamb in it, and the three dimensional shape really attracts me. I really like It because it gets layers and details that can overlap with other surroundings to make more bizarre shapes. After the drawing, we begin to find out ten shapes that is unique to place it together, and make a geometrical picture that shows different shapes are connecting. From the geometrical picture, I can see a lot of fashion elements in it, maybe one part can be sleeve or collar, and there will be more patterns to create from those shapes. In the afternoon, three shapes from our original drawings are chosen, and we pair up to use our six big shapes to create a interesting silhouette. I am really into it because it really forces you to think about how these shapes relate to each other to give a new form for the body. Within 20 minutes, we finish our "paper" work on the body, and we do some figure drawings to finish up the day. From those figure drawings that I did, I went back home, and looked at them, it gave me a feeling that there are tones of shapes that I still needed to explore and play with it.

"Your Surroundings" - 2

2017.09.12

• -Polytheism (Buddhism, Christians, Islamism, Voodooism)
  • -Mesh (the material that connect each religion's totem to be a totem pole)
  • -Obscure (a state of mind)

Start the day going to the British museum with my group members, I am still a little bit confused about what we are going to do. However, we collect ideas as much as we can, and try to come up with an outcomes that we can discuss about it. Since we are doing Polytheism, which is the belief in more than one god, we start to think about different religions and the things that would represent it. Totems, in those religions, to present its worship and ritual, also represent powerful meanings to people. For example, in Christianism, the window in the church is a strong totem to Christian, because when they pray, the light is coming through the window, that means hope to them. Immediately, we connect mesh to it because mesh is like window. Although we can't see the God, we always have belief inside. Also, that is obscure.